Thailand's government says at least 162 people have died in the past few days in devastating floods caused by heavy rains, leaving millions of people homeless. Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Saturday ordered emergency relief and rehabilitation efforts in the affected areas.
At a press conference in Bangkok, government spokesman Siripong Angkasakulkiat said 162 people had been confirmed dead in the floods across eight provinces, with Songkhla province accounting for the highest number of deaths, at 126.
The government has come under intense criticism for the damage and casualties caused by the devastating floods in the country. Speaking to reporters on Saturday, Thai Prime Minister Anutin acknowledged the government's shortcomings in flood management.
He apologized to the locals while visiting various flood-affected areas. Anutin said, "The government has not been able to provide proper services and protection to the flood-affected citizens."
He said that compensation distribution to the affected people will begin next week. During this time, additional assistance will be provided, including loan moratoriums and short-term interest-free loans for business and home repairs.
The country's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said the water had started receding in all provinces since Saturday morning. Video footage showed locals returning to their homes, which had been submerged for a long time, to inspect the damage. Furniture and personal belongings were scattered across the floors of the homes.
The floods, which began late last week, have caused widespread devastation in the country, stranding thousands of people, rendering many roads impassable, and submerging low-lying buildings and vehicles.
The death toll in Hat Yai, the largest city in Songkhla province, is rising rapidly, with rescue workers recovering bodies in residential areas they were previously unable to access after the waters receded.