At least four people have been killed in an Israeli airstrike on a car near Lebanon's border with Syria, the Lebanese Ministry of Public Health has reported. Al Jazeera reports.
The ministry said in a statement that the attack took place early Monday. Lebanon's national news agency reported that one of the dead was Syrian national Khaled Mohammed al-Ahmad.
The Israeli military confirmed the attack. In a post on social media, they claimed that the attack targeted members of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) active in Lebanon. However, Israel did not provide any evidence to support this claim. According to their statement, the operation was carried out in the Majdal Anzar area of Lebanon.
There was no immediate response from the PIZ on the incident.
The PIJ is an armed group active in the occupied Palestinian territories. It is fighting Hamas in the Gaza Strip for the establishment of a Palestinian state. It is also an ally of the Lebanese armed group Hezbollah.
After the start of Israel's war in Gaza in 2023, Hezbollah began attacking northern Israel in solidarity with the Palestinians.
Despite a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah in November 2024, Israel continues to attack Lebanon almost daily, violating the US-brokered agreement.
The United Nations says Israeli forces have carried out more than 10,000 air and ground attacks in the year since the ceasefire was agreed. The UN human rights office says at least 108 civilians have been killed in Israeli attacks during that time, including at least 21 women and 16 children.
In addition, the United Nations said that Israeli forces detained at least 11 Lebanese civilians during that time.
Last month, Lebanon filed a formal complaint with the United Nations, citing repeated Israeli attacks and calling on the UN Security Council to take action to halt Israeli attacks and fully withdraw its troops from the country.